Stanhope Cooper offers Non Negligence insurance for contract works over £1 million.
Non negligence insurance, also known as Party Wall insurance or Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT 6.5.1 ), gives home owners protection against damage to third party property.
Unsure of your Party Wall obligations?
The rewards for undertaking basement conversions and works near the party wall are substantial. With the Royal Family investing in an iceberg basement under Kensington Palace, many developers are looking to dig down to uncover unexplored space in their properties. According to the ASUC (Association of Specialist Underpinning Contractors), basement conversions could increase London property value by almost 50%. Consequently, digging down presents a tantalising opportunity.
However, neighbouring properties are likely to be disturbed by your building work. With works near the party wall, even with highly trained contractors, earth movement such as subsidence may occur. Non Negligence Insurance protects property owners should neighbouring underground excavations and underpinning become weakened or damaged.
The Party Wall Act (1996) states that property owners are legally liable for any third party damage caused which does not result from contractor negligence. For this reason, many property owners opt for their own Non negligent Party Wall insurance policy rather than leaving the contractor to take out the policy. Stanhope Cooper helps you meet your obligations and offers expert advice to help you get substantially reduced premiums on your Non Negligence cover.
Why you need JCT 6.5.1 insurance
In the majority of cases, the Contractor takes out Non Negligence Insurance on their employer’s behalf, to run alongside their public liability insurance. JCT clause 6.5.1 requires both contractor and employer’s names to be on the policy, to protect the property owner from party wall legislation. Occasionally, contractors avoid Non Negligence Insurance because it adds extra cost to their works without perceived benefit to them.
Stanhope Cooper adds considerable value as your appointed broker by liaising with the contractor and their own broker if needs be, to make sure they firstly have the correct Contractors All Risk Insurance in place and secondly that the correct Non Negligence Insurance is added to the main policy.
Non Negligence Insurance protects you against legal liability claims and losses arising from non-negligent injury as well as damage to your neighbour’s property due to:
- Weakening or removal of support
- Lowering of groundwater
You may not need Non Negligence Insurance
There are few exclusion cases when cover is not necessary:
- Damage or loss resulting from contractor’s work (falls under Buildings Insurance/ Contract Works Insurance policy)
- Injury, damage or loss due to contractor negligence
- Damage or loss resulting from the design of the works (falls under Designer’s Professional Indemnity policy)
- Unavoidable minor damage as a result of the works (uninsurable risk)
- Damage to your own building (covered by renovation insurance)
Contact our expert Property Development team today! We can tell you in minutes whether you would benefit from Non Negligent Party Wall Insurance.
How we provide Non Negligence insurance for you
We collect all the necessary information to tailor cover to you and your property. We also offer a complimentary review of the basement contractor’s insurance when you insure through us. Our specialist Property Development team work closely with your Party Wall Surveyor to detect risk factors before they become an issue. We can attend site surveys on your behalf to ensure the best results. We are with you every step of the way. So in the event of a claim, we handle the claims process on your behalf to ensure the maximum compensation and minimal nuisance. Non Negligence Insurance is a significant risk management tool for the property owner.
Questions we will ask during your call:
- Risk information relating to the buildings e.g. When was the property built?
- Contractor details
- Details of the location of works
- Contract value broken down into various elements
- Period of contract
- Description of works
- Foundation details
- Description of Party Wall and surrounding property
- Details of any demolition
If you are unable to answer the questions, we can send your structural engineer a proposal form to fill in on your behalf. We will also require supporting documentation and we will advise you on these during your call.
Benefits of a dedicated Non Negligence Insurance broker?
Finding the correct level of insurance cover for your building project, at the optimum price can be difficult. At Stanhope Cooper we work on our clients’ behalf to take the hassle out of insurance, and ensure that they have the right cover for their needs.
- Market knowledge – Our expert team of party wall insurance brokers have extensive knowledge of the insurance market and the products available. Niche, complicated and unique projects require a high level of market-expertise. We work with an elite panel of insurers and are able to get access to products and deals that are not always available by going direct.
- Unbiased advice – As an independent broker we are not aligned to any particular insurers. Having assessed your requirements, we can scour the market to find insurance cover that is right for you. Furthermore as an exclusively family-owned brokerage, we have no third-party shareholders to concern ourselves with. This means we can focus solely on the needs of our clients.
- Risk management – We provide access to market-leading building and construction experts. This not only gives our clients added protection for their projects, but can lead to reduced premiums.
- Guidance in the event of a claim – Should the worst happen, we offer guidance and support to our clients throughout the claims process. Making a claim can often be a worrying time. We work on our clients’ behalf to liaise with insurers, and ensure that we get the best result possible.
Plus with our Client Portal you can have all of your policy documents in one place, so you can access your insurance information at the click of a button. Policy documents are also available on the go, via the Stanhope Cooper app (Apple & Android)
Contact our dedicated Non Negligence insurance team today for advice on your property renovation
Get a quoteor call us on +44 (0)20 7776 9790